2. Dervish wind

3. Anion

4. Self control

5. Blast

6. Frozen bug

7. Next wave

8. Lifeforce

9. The man who fell to earth

Contrary to what you might believe, KURO has actually been around the block since day one of the psy scene. He’s a Japanese artist and released stuff since 1995!! I found his stuff on an old comp The Japanese Experience (check my other review) and was stunned. I also regretted that I walked passed the opportunity of buying an older album of his a few years back… Anyway, I was VERY curious to see what were his visions of “modern psytrance” so I rushed to get my hands on this and give it a few listens…

Well, I was kindof disappointed actually. For me, Japanese artists are one of the few who remained faithful to the oldschool sound (check out PHI – Phinalizer) but KURO went into dark progressive territory which is a style I’m not really crazy of…

Dervish Wind actually sounds like some Russian trance ( Parsense, Kindzadza ), the same powerful driving beat although KURO has more (dark) atmospheres, it sounds less “neutral” than Russian trance to my ears…

Anion has a very heavy kick, on a proper sound system this will feel like a giant hammer is hitting on your walls! But it sounds more like Detroit techno than psy… actually it reminded me of Kopfuss Resonator !!

Next Wave is more to my liking: it’s dark but has a nice synth progression, the effect is very hypnotic, the track just seems to take you deeper and deeper towards the center of the Earth…

The other tracks are dark and pumping but not really my cup of tea…

Conclusion dark trance for those late night hours by one of the pioneers of goatrance. Personally I’m kindof disappointed that KURO didn’t keep a few of his oldschool elements in his tracks. This music is as a black as black coffee… and it feels like you drank 10 litres of black coffee when you listen to it in the night ;) I think that fans of dark trance (Parasence, Kindzadza, The Delta, stuff from Parvati records…) will like this one a LOT.

• 7 months later...

This is pretty minimal techno trance album and as such it is pretty good one. It has that dark, subversive feel through whole album. This is album for all those tech-trance freaks that like DELTA, SPIRALLIANZ, MOS, X-DREAM...It has very minimal but with very intelligent structure. I like DERVISH WIND, ANION, SELF CONTROL, BLAST, FROZEN BUG...7/10