FLAC vs 320KBPS

snowball

At 320 I don't hear a difference to CD, and I guess even with OGG-VBR~256 it's more the knowledge that it's lossy that makes me think I heard it. A few years ago a German computer mag did a double-blind test with quite a few audiophiles and top-notch audio equipment. Most couldn't tell the difference even at MP3/192.

The biggest source of distortion is still cheap audio hardware. On-board sound cards, noisy power supplies, stuff like that. To test properly, you have to convert your stuff to MP3 and back to WAV, burn everything on CD and play it on a good stereo.

631643[/snapback]

wtf :huh: ? i mean, 192 isnt that perfect to be unable to spot difference, especially if you are a pro with trained ears, must have been shitty pros then :rolleyes::P

1. FLAC is lossless.

2. You don't need 1411 kbps for SILENCE, nor 1411 kbps for half-full frequency spectrum.

3. Compress 80 Mb *.wav with rar, you'll get 50 Mb rar file - will you lose quality? FLAC acts the same way.

631711[/snapback]

yup, thats how its explained at flacs web page :)