Mergi

Artist: Electrotete

Release: I Love You 12"

Year: 1992

Label: Apollo

Cat-#: APOLLO 4

Rating: 4/5

Tracklisting:

A1: I Love You (Pete Ramson & Danny Van Wauwe Remix)

A2: I Love You (Original Version)

B: I Love You "The Deeper Mix" (Tony Thorpe Remix)

In the beginning Ben Watkins actually had different group names with his collaborators... it's as if he ran out of ideas for project names and later on chose to only use the Juno Reactor moniker for every collaboration he did. The collaborator for Electrotete is mr S. Holweck from Total Eclipse, and well this is really a very typical sound for this duo. If you've ever laid your ears over the tracks The Heavens, Contact or 10000 miles (which holweck produced as well) you will pretty much know what to expect from this release, or at least the original version of this track.

It's quite ambient, very melodic. The original is very laidback and subtle, downtempo. Soothing rhythms and a simple yet effective melody loop. It's actually bordering on being a bit cheesy but it still got lots of charm.

The Pete Ramson & Danny Van Wauwe Remix has cranked up the volume a bit, also the cheese factor has increased as the lead melody is now played with a piano sound. There's all sorts of cute swirls here and there, to say the least there's a lot more going on here than in the original. But I still prefer the original, it's not suppose to be an in your face tune in my opinion.

The B-side is brilliant. Tony Thorpe truly got this tune very deep. It retains a lot from the original, the whole feeling is still there. In addition Thorpe has added lots of groove. This track is long, 11+ minutes. A two part track with lot's of twists and turns. The first part is actually quite straight forward and as I already said before, groovy. Then comes a break and a slightly long ambient layer stretches out for a minute or so, and then we're suddenly merged into the second part. This is seriously alien, sporting a 3/4 beat, a simple 3 note synthstab layer used as bassline. Strange FX layers rebounds, fades in and out and so on, tweaked. Suddenly he starts twisting and tweaking the original lead melody, this adds tremendously to the alien atmosphere. This is seriously one of the strangest ambient workouts I've heard.

To round this up I have to say the original got lot's of quality and originality but "The Deeper Mix" from Tony Thorpe is the main deal, a house-ambient hybrid which is truly interesting to listen to.