Electric Universe - Waves

frozen dream

Posted Image

No expectations, since i hardly know stuff from Boris Blenn, but to what i've heard his older stuff used to be better (i remember solar energy vinyl) and nowadays his music has become plain commercial. Same old story.

So here, one of the older albums and it's quite a nice one. Techtrancy and many funky touches, lots of fast changing atmospheres and variation. Quite a blended album in feel and styles. Some tracks are darker, some have there own story to it like The Island and two chill-out of tracks are in here as well.

01. Jungle Spirit 6:22

Screechy acid line opens, kick, hat, hat var, and we're inside the Electric Universe. Muddy acidsynth talks. Tribal dance, amens roll, synth gently screeches on. Very entrancing music. Some trancy arp takes over, not very imaginative... Next, some nice acid lines and the same screechy synth, going deep one last time before the end. Not too bad.

02. Spectral Blue 7:41

Alien synth welcomes us, percussion loops hits it, the trance can begin, funky acid lines next, groovy distorted synth. Some bad key changes :angry: but then more good acid lines. Funky outro again. Very playful and happy track.

03. Bubbles 7:46

Djembes in the left speaker, percs tingle around, oriental funk...keeps going on.. Sort of an agressive, warm atmo around now... more funk.. fast percussions and synths. Trippy, squeeky, squelchy, nothing too much or extravagant, just downright funktrancin on the acid lines to the end!! :posford:

04. Spiral Galaxy 8:41

Downtempo tune. Pretty chaotic and uninspired percs for starters, i like the sounds used though... Keeps on going.. tedededede synth gets tedious.. <_< Then a nicer melody joins in. More breaks and amens, pretty repetitive in all.. It has some value but it's too repetitive for just now, this needs to grow i think...

05. Saijen 8:41

Weird little track. Pumpy beats and relentless percussion dance around. Sounds like a madman carnival tune... then after 3 minutes, ZZiiaauuwww, bassline hits in, turns into a more darker groovy tune. Trippy tribal percussion and synth still going... some annoying synth passage in the middle :angry: luckily doesn't last too long but kinda ruins it... still has a nice dancing ending.

06. Flashback 5:44

Massive bass, trippy stabbing leads, acid line, yeah :posford: Very fat groovy track, very trancey leads kick in, keeps going... some more variation, dance madness!! Very nice short track!!

07. Freakuencies 8:42

More fat grooves, typical build up of the track with nice sounds. Turns into a mesmerizing track.. Nice work!

08. The Island 5:51

Something out of the usual, a fresh, uptempo house tune with it's own paradise-like feel. Like the title says, a beautiful island in a vast blue ocean. Funky and sweet, just like it should be!

09. Funtation 7:05

Downtempo track for finishers, and a very nice one!! Exciting deep sea dive among dazzling coral reefs, catchy droning beats and funky acid lines. Might be a little repetitive but still very nice track!!

Pretty nice album but like i said, the tracks can get repetitive on you if you're not really into them. The tracks aren't really complex in composition and structure but they do they the job i guess. I could really see some tracks work fine on the dancefloor. Lots of funky percussions and groovy acid lines, and a good goa oldskool-ish atmo with a stab of dryer techtrance through it all.

The album is something which is nice to pick up on the go but nothing to go out and look for...

Like sliiightly above average.

favs: 3,6,7,8,9

6.5/10