Why is discogs mostly way overpriced?

bwhale

well I'd say that the main reason is that eBay is an auction, meaning that prices START at a certain point, but might end much higher depending on bids, even higher than those on discogs (believe me, I've seen it happen ;) ). On the other hand, prices on discogs are the final price, so if you agree with the asking price you buy it directly, there is no competition.

There is an offer system on Discogs... so yes, prices always rise on eBay but they can come down on Discogs. I know some of my higher priced items are just there in case someone wants to spend that much... I don't really want to sell everything I list but I'd be willing to take a nice pay-out for some. That's the mentality that leads to some of the higher prices... fact is that some collectors pay top dollar for releases. I was regularly earning a hundred euros for any Infected Mushroom LPs I listed on eBay a few years ago... same goes when I post on Discogs. That stuff sells quick. So it's also a matter of what the market can bear. Anyway, no one is forcing you to buy anything... and plenty of those expensive psytrance CDs are never going to sell.

PS I'd like to ad that contrary to the popular belief, people who sell stuff on discogs do NOT make that much of a profit (or any profit at all). The thing is that for every vinyl/CD that you sell for an over-inflated price there are like 10 vinyl/CDs that don't sell at all, so basically the profit you make for one barely covers the stock of unsold stuff. Also keep in mind that there's a 5% fee to pay for every sale on discogs + more or less 3% if you're paid through paypal + the cost of packaging.

So if you do it like Basilisk says and buy stuff for yourself and keep it unless someone is willing to pay a premium then it's ok, but if you buy a stock of albums with the intention of making a business out of it then you'll quickly realize that you'll be losing more money than you make (and that's even with these aparently insane prices)