2. Tec Droid

3. Restructured

4. Spike

5. Breaking the silence

6. Sonic Fusion

7. Roadtrip to wonderland

8. Hallucinated

9. Just passing by

All right, now that I have put my son down for a nap, I can get down to business. As I was carrying him to his crib I accidentally whacked his head on the side of the door. Whoops. So either he is really tired or has a concussion; let's hope for the former. The other day he fell down a few stairs. Kid doesn't cry though...he got up, looked at the stairs with that "what the f*ck just happened" look and went on playing. He constantly bumps into the kitchen table and just keeps on going. Love that tough little guy.

Anyway this is a project that has been on my radar since they went by the name Blue Vortex back in 04. It is Andreas Maerki and Philip Guillaume from Switzerland and they apparently went to the Filipe Santos school of projects because they also go by the name of Natural Flow (progressive side) and Philip is Motion Drive. I think these guys have long stradled the line between progressive and psytrance with pretty good results. Since I like to educate as well as amuse, let's see what the great nation of Switzerland has contributed to the world...

Obviously known for watches, chocolates, and that cheese with the holes in it, but did you know that they founded the Red Cross? That would explain the flag similarities. Some of the most incredible scenery is there including the Matterhorn. Let's not forget their contribution to cutlery and resourcefulness...the Swiss army knife. But for me, they are most known as the country that gives safe haven to child rapist and fugitive from justice

Posted Image

I don't care where you ran off too, if you did that to anyone I knew no place would be safe. I don't blame Rumble Pack, but I don't not blame them. I would probably get around to slicing that guy's windpipe, but with all that delicious chocolate and great skiing, I wouldn't be in that much of a hurry either.

Warped Up- "If indeed there is an invisible landscape, then perhaps that invisible landscape is a universal. Not just on this planet, but on all planets."

Yeah, I don't know what that means. The first thing I noticed about this track is its atmosphere. Truly outer space with a deep chill. The bass line is simple, but the effects bring out that tinge of isolation. Just you and the stars. There are plenty of melodic layers to enjoy and I feel this would fit well in a progressive or psytrance set. Nice, my friends.

Tec Droid- "HK-47...I did not realize that you still existed. Especially now that the other generations are activated."

With a title like that and the sample, there is a definite future vibe here. When people think of droids invariably these come to mind

Posted Image

Is nothing sacred?

This is a pure full on tune that isn't that great. I and others have discussed that there is a difference between mindless full-on and intelligent full on. Like chicks in Vegas who participate in jello wrestling, you cannot paint them all with one brush. Although if I have to hear how another dancer is just doing this to pay her way through medical school I think I will plotz. It has a nice atmosphere to it even if it sounds like it was made 7 years ago. By Alien Project.

Restructured- But Billy, it's got lasers...you like lasers. That it does my friends as well as several leads adding to its depth. The effects cover up for the dated bass line and it really is like taking a trip in a time machine. Still, the rhythm is nice even if it has a full on fluffiness about it. The final bit is quite good in the break and while not superb it was a little better than average.

Spike- 4th track in and I am drowning in full on, but all I ask is a little patience because things eventually get better. From the middle on this is a rich and eerie ride through space. The leads are nice and reminds me of stuff from Glowing Flame, but the fact that I had to wait over 4 minutes makes me a sad panda. Still better than the last track.

Breaking the Silence- I think something else is broken...your bass line maker because it's stuck in full on mode. I do like some of the effects, but that creativity gets lost in the generic plodding. My favorite part is the break where pads arc across the sky and a lead burrows from underground to break the surface. Not enough ideas for this one to take flight me thinks...

Posted Image

Sonic Fusion- Again there are some nice touches here with some good leads and layering, but it is sucked into that vortex of derivative full on structure. I'm going to have to break out disappointed Asian father here...

Posted Image

Roadtrip to Wonderland- More like roadtrip to Snoozeville.

Hallucinated- Yep, bass line machine is definitely broken. Stuck on crap. What did you guys do, leave the room and let the sequencer run? C'mon, you can do this. Maybe.

Just Passing By- That's funny cause that's just what this CD did...it just passed by. To be fair, this one had a good break that brought a smooth lead out. But thin, people, really thin.

I would sum this disc up in the following manner. Started off great and then....

Posted Image

Sigh.

You know when you turn on the radio you have so many choices right? From classic rock, to top 40. From metal to country music and even gospel. You know what this is? Easy listening. From 6 years ago. It's pure full on with some nice progressive touches and atmosphere, but most assuredly light. I liked the first track the best, but there is nothing here that stood out or I would remember if you played it for me right after I just listened to it. Generic and easily forgettable. Pass on by like the Pharcyde.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Goastore

Mdk

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, disappointing indeed. Too watered down for full-on, too much of "those bass lines" to be proper prog, nothing close to Tesseract stuff (you know, that cool Serbian full-onish prog sound). Did you get a chance to check Motion Drive's album? If so, how does it compare to this?

I have heard Motion Drive's latest In The Dirt and it was pretty good. Some outstanding tracks interspersed with good ones. No filler. I have reviewed a lot of Tesseract's stuff and it has been top notch. Between them and Iono I have my progressive fill.

Mdk